Sonterra Municipal Utility District Recreation Supervisor
*For questions or to submit resume, cover letter, and references, please contact Blake Reynolds, Director of Parks and Recreation at email@example.com; 512-591-3463*
Organization: Sonterra Municipal Utility District – Parks and Recreation Posting Dates: September 29th – October 16th, 2023
Location: Williamson County, Texas
Country: United States
Salary Range: $48,000 – $65,000 Type of Position: Full-Time
Under general direction, performs mid-level work planning, coordinating, and directing MUD athletics, aquatics, recreation, and events at all assigned park and recreation facilities. Provides highly responsible and technical staff assistance to the Director of Parks and Recreation; and acts as a member of the department’s management team.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop, plan, implement, and evaluate programs and events, including requests for proposals (RFPs), quotes,evaluating and selecting vendors, and managing overall execution of events.
- Identify community needs and recommend appropriate programs related to areas of assignment.
- Supervise and coach aquatic staff and recreation contractors to provide but not limited to aquatics, athletics,camps, and events.
- Establish schedules and supervise activities at park facilities.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the recreation program budget and monitor expenditures.
- Prepare purchase requisitions, order supplies, and materials as needed.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the Parks andRecreation Department. Makes recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards, policiesand procedures, and monitors work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Work with Maintenance Supervisor and staff to coordinate facility use, and program and event scheduling in aneffective and efficient manner.
- Travel occasionally and will work some evenings, weekends, and holiday hours.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial and participation reports related to recreation programming and events;maintains accurate files and records.
- Implement procedures and processes for operating facilities.
- Secure program and event sponsorships.
- Recruit independent contractors and execute/manage contracts for athletics, aquatics, camps, and events.
- Provide verbal and written communication through print, radio and TV, District/Department website, socialmedia, posting of flyers, and public interaction such as marketing promotions.
- Oversee the pool management contractors or other means of providing aquatic services.
- Prepare and process financial reports and vendor payments in District financial system.
- Maintain an on-call status as necessary.
- Respond to complaints and requests or information.
- Assist with coordination of community services activity programs with other City departments, outside agencies,and other service providers.
- Meet with public groups, clubs, organizations to share and promote community recreation services, activities and programs.
- Knowledge of and ability to use industry-standard graphics and multimedia software packages geared toward graphic design, advertising, marketing and communications.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Operations, services, and activities of recreation programs.
- Principles and practices of program administration.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Basic principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Common recreational and social needs of various age groups.
- Principles and procedures for implementing and directing a wide variety of recreation activities and thedevelopment of programs through community participation.
- Principles and practices of administration, budget and personnel management.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such asword processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Coordinate and direct recreation programs.
- Supervise, organize, and review the work of assigned staff involved in developing and coordinating recreationprograms.
- Select, train, and evaluate staff.
- Recommend and implement goals, objectives, policies and procedures for providing recreation services andprograms.
- Understand the organization and operation of the organization and of outside agencies as necessary to assumeassigned responsibilities.
- Understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and proceduresas well as applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of assigned budgets.
- Develop and administer community-based recreation programs suited to the needs of the community.
- Plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
- Effectively represent the department to outside individuals and agencies to accomplish the goals and objectivesof the unit.
- Work cooperatively with other departments, District officials, and outside agencies.
- Respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries from the public, recreation staff, or otheragencies on sensitive issues in area of responsibility.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and databaseapplications.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Required – High School or GED Diploma with a minimum of three years of full–time experience in the recreation field.
Preferred – Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work
in recreation, public administration, or a related field with a minimum of one year of full-time experience in the recreation field.
Required – Three to five years of full-time responsible program administration experience related to organized community service and recreation activities including two years of administrative and/or lead supervisory experience.
Preferred – Five or more years of full-time responsible program administration experience related to organized community service and recreation activities including four or more years of administrative and/or lead supervisory experience.
License or Certificate:
Required – Valid driver’s license; American Red Cross Lifeguard Professional Rescuers including CPR/AED/First Aid or ability to attain within six months of hire date; American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor or ability to attain within six months of hire date; Certified Pool and Spa Operator (CPO) or ability to attain within six months of hire date; Certified Professional Sports Manager (CPSM) or ability to attain within first two years of hire date.
Preferred – NRPA Certified Park and Recreation Professional
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work is performed in both an indoor office setting and outdoor setting with some travel from site to site.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information; ability to work evenings and weekends as needed. Maintain an on-call status as necessary.